This quick guide will help you to add watermark in LibreOffice Writer.
Watermarking is a way of inserting any graphic or text in all the pages of a Writer document to make sure that the document is not copied or distributed and it can be marked with a watermark for easy identification. E.g. you might want to insert [DRAFT] or [SAMPLE] or [DO NOT COPY] or [FOR PREVIEW ONLY] as a transparent background of all the pages in a Writer document.
There are various ways to do it but below two processes which I feel are the easiest and simple to implement a watermarking. The first process uses simple text as transparent background. The second process uses an image as background.
Steps to Add Watermark in Writer – Using Text
- Open LibreOffice Writer document.
- From the menu, click Format > Watermark
- In the Watermark window, enter the text which you want as watermark. Also choose, font, color, and angle of the text (default angle is 45 deg). Press OK.
- You can see the Watermark is added in your Writer document.
To remove the text watermark, open the Watermark dialog from the Format menu and simply remove the text and click ok.
Steps to Add Watermark in Writer – Using Image
- Before you begin you need an image showing the text DRAFT or SAMPLE or any text you want. You can get lots of such images via a simple Google search (search in google with “watermark png”).
- Open the LibreOffice Writer document where you want to implement the watermark.
- From Menu click Format > Page.
- In the Area tab > Bitmap section – under Bitmap list click on the Add/Import button.
- Select image for Watermark and click Open. Give any name for the external bitmap name window.
- While the uploaded image is selected in the bitmap list, under Options and Style choose Custom Positioning/Size and Position as Center.
- On the Transparency tab, select the Transparency Mode as Transparency 50%.
- Press Ok.
- Now you can see the Watermark has been added in all the pages in your Writer document.
To remove the watermark or to modify follow the same steps above via
Format > Page from the menu.
There are other ways to insert watermark in LibreOffice Writer but I feel that the above two processes are the easiest ones and can be quickly implemented for all the pages in your document.
Drop a comment using the comment box below if you have any questions.