This beginner’s guide helps you to add header and footer in LibreOffice Writer program.
Documents look nice when you add header and footer in them. If you are making a professional document, writing a book, or any project – headers and footers are a must.
The header contains, in general, the document type which describes the document itself. It might contain chapter names as well if you are writing a book.
Footer in general consists of page numbers and other basic fields.
Adding header and footer is very easy in LibreOffice Writer. Here’s how.
Table of Contents
How to Add Header and Footer in Writer
- Open any Writer document
- From Menu click
Insert -> Header and Footer -> header Or, Footer -> Default Style.
- Once you click, you would see an editable section at the top and at the bottom based on what you have clicked.
- You can also see a popup button giving you all the options to modify, delete, format the looks of header and footer.
- You can click on Format header or Format Footer and it would bring up the Page style window which contains different formatting options of Header and Footer (default style).
- You can increase the length, add lines, add background image in header and footer using different options.
Let’s take a look at two common use-cases of header and footer.
Add Page Number, Total Page Count in Header or Footer
To add page numbers and total page counts – e.g. Page 1 of 3 – click on the popup menu.
Add a line in Header or Footer
- To add lines click on format header or footer – depending on where you want it.
- Then in the Page style window, go to the Borders tab. Under Line arrangements, select where you would like to place the line, change the line width, color, style (dotted, dashes, etc,) and press OK.