LibreOffice 6.4 is packed with new features. Here’s what’s in store.
LibreOffice is the most popular free office suite at the moment with millions of downloads. This is the most active project with features are being added very frequently in each release.
LibreOffice 6.4, the next major release of LibreOffice is full of new features across its offerings. Writer, Calc, Impress, Math and Draw – all the components are receiving major feature updates and improvements.
Here’s a quick rundown of major improvements.
What’s New in LibreOffice 6.4
General Updates (common for all components)
- Internal paths now would be displayed in the UI.
- The hyperlink context menu is uniform now across components.
- The QR code generator is built-in.
- Extension of the redaction feature with auto redaction.
- Excel 2003 XML import filter improvement
- More improvements in doc, docx, ppt and pptx filters for both import and export.
- New table panel in the sidebar.
- More improvements in the mobile and online version.
- New option to mark comments as resolved.
- btLr text direction is available now in text frames.
- You can now add comments in writer images and charts.
- New wrap option to auto avoid overlapping shapes.
- Huge improvements in table handling.
- New context menu for paste special of rows, columns.
- Improvements in the performance of table operations.
- Performance improvements in computations, utilization of multi-core processors.
- more performance support of xls and xlsx files.
- Now you can export all sheets as a single pdf export.
- New and improved functions.
Draw and Impress
- A new feature of consolidation texts from multiple selected text boxes.
- Slide show improvements.
- Performance improvements in ppt files and animations.
Access2Base api now can be called from basic or python macros.
… and many more.
How to download
LibreOffice 6.4 is due to release on Jan 29, 2020. In the meantime, you can try to get the release candidate early version from here.
LibreOffice 6.4 released already. You can download it from the below link for your respective operating system.
Remember, it is not a final release and features are being added. You may encounter bugs as well due to in-progress testing.
Remember, LibreOffice 6.4 is a Fresh version. That means it is recommended for early adopters and advanced users.
If you want more stable LibreOffice, try out the still version. Of course, the features of the fresh version would be merged back into the still version in the upcoming releases.
Do you like the new features? Let us know in the comments below.
Image credits: libreoffice.org