I will try to give you some ideas to fix a common problem: I can’t open LibreOffice.
There are various reasons for which you may not be able to open the LibreOffice program that includes Calc, Writer, Impress or other components. Since the underlying hardware or functions you perform are different, it’s impossible to provide a specific solution.
That said, I can still give you some ideas or thoughts by which you can proceed to fix this typical problem.
Table of Contents
How to Fix: Can’t Open LibreOffice.
I have listed below steps for the operating system (OS), i.e. Linux and Windows. Because troubleshooting this problem differs based on the OS.
Method 1: Try Opening in Safe Mode
- Try to open LibreOffice in safe mode to see if it works. In Windows, on the START MENU, right-click> Run and type the following (exactly as mentioned below, including the double quotes):
- For Linux, open a terminal window (press CTRL+ALT+T) and run the following.
- And then hit enter.
- Now, click on
Continue in Safe Modeand see if it works. If LibreOffice opens up fine, then you can close LibreOffice. And try to open normally, i.e. via your usual shortcut or icon method.
- If it doesn’t work, continue to the next step.
Method 2: Archive and Factory Reset
Open the LibreOffice in safe mode using the above Method 1.
- In the Safe Mode window, click and expand
- Click on
Archive User Profile
- Select the option
Reset to Factory Settings
Reset Entire User Profile
- Click on
Apply Changes and Restart.
If it opens, try to see if all your needed functions are working.
Method 3: Disable the HW Acceleration
Open the LibreOffice again in safe mode using the above Method 1.
- In the
Safe Modewindow, click
- Then click on
Disable User Extensions
- Also, click on
Disable hardware acceleration
- Now, click on
Apply Changes and Restart
If you can open it, then all is good. Otherwise, follow the next step.
Method 4: Reset Shortcuts (Windows Only)
- In Windows, you may try resetting the shortcut, which may be the problem.
- Open Windows Explorer, and in the address bar, copy-paste the below path.
%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\LibreOffice 7.0\
- You should see a list of LibreOffice shortcuts in this location.
- Try to double-click and open LibreOffice from these icons.
- If it works, right-click on the LibreOffice icon and click Send to Desktop (create shortcuts).
- Now you can try to open LibreOffice from the newly opened shortcuts.
This method is explained via this page.
Method 5: Kill the Running Processes (Use with Caution)
Sometimes, a running program of LibreOffice causes problems. The reason is LibreOffice may not close properly last time and hence caused the issues.
In those situations, you might see LibreOffice running as a process. So, you can try to kill the process manually and see if it opens.
- In Windows, open Task Manager. And Right-Click on any process named libreoffice or
soffice. And select the
kill processoption. Then restart your Windows system and try to open it.
- For Linux, open a terminal window (CTRL+ALT+T), and run the following command.
ps -el | grep soffice
- It will give you the process number in the fourth column (see the below image).
- Then run the following command with the process ID to kill the process.
kill -9 process_id
Once it is complete, try to open LibreOffice in the usual way.
Method 6: Delete the LibreOffice Config Manually (Use with Caution)
This method is only for Linux users and is very risky. So, proceed with caution.
- Open the file manager in Linux. Go to the
/home/<username>directory. Then press
CTRL+Hto show the hidden files.
- Open the
- Inside this directory, you should find a folder named
- Delete this folder.
Restart your system and try to open LibreOffice in the normal way.
Final Method 7: Uninstall and Re-Install
If none of the above methods works, then I can only recommend trying uninstalling the program. And download the latest version of LibreOffice from the official website and install it.
I hope the above steps help you to fix this common problem. Or at least give you an idea to proceed with the issues. If nothing works and you can afford to reinstall, then do it. Reinstalling LibreOffice hopefully solves the problem.
If any of the above methods work for you, let everyone know in the comment box to benefit everyone.
ça fait 2 ans que je cherche à travailler avec libre office en pensant que c’est mon windows qui bug… Mais non, c’est juste libre office qui plante sur toutes mes machines : impossible de travailler avec un plantage assuré toutes les 5 minutes et une récupération inefficace qui nous fait perdre du temps en recherche inutile…
Pour que plusieurs années passent avec ce problème fondamental c’est que libre office veut sciemment planter le projet au profit des majors… je ne vois pas d’autre explication.
Very nice help, thank you a lot!
it was fixed by the first step only thank you
Glad that it worked!
Thank you very much. Method 3 helped me to fix the problem.
Good to hear!
I upgraded to Libre Office 7.4.2 yesterday, and today the icon doesn’t work, and I can’t open it in Safe Mode, either. My financial spreadsheets need to be updated, but I can’t open the program; PLEASE HELP.
Are you using Windows 10 or 11?
Can you try the following:
1. Restart windows
2. after restart try to open it in the safe mode as a first step.
let me know what happens