This beginner’s tutorial explains how you can add a hyperlink to a cell, sheet or any external address in LibreOffice Calc.
In LibreOffice Calc, it is possible to link to any external web address, FTP address or any URL; Not only that you can link to any cell within a sheet or workbook. This is how you can do it.
Table of Contents
Add Hyperlink to Cell with External Address
- To add Hyperlink to a cell, simply click on the cell and from the Menu click
Insert -> Hyperlink. The keyboard shortcut is
- In the Hyperlink dialog, on the left side select “Internet“. Enter the Web of FTP URL and then enter Text. The Text part would be displayed in the cell. Once done, press OK.
- Now you can press CTRL+K to follow the hyperlink.
Add a Link to a cell within a Sheet
- To add a link to a cell within a Sheet, follow the same above process. Select a Cell, and open the hyperlink dialog from the menu. In the hyperlink dialog, select “Document” on the left side. In the “Target in the document” section type the cell address e.g. G10 in Target. Click Apply.
- Add any text to it in the further settings section so that it shows in the cell.
Add a Link to a cell in another Sheet
- You can also add a link to another sheet or any cell. In the Hyperlink dialog box go to the Document section. Then in the “Target in the document” section type the cell address with the sheet name like below.
- Now when you click on the Hyperlink, Calc automatically opens up the target cell.
Using HYPERLINK Function to create a link
You can also use HYPERLINK function in your formula to create hyperlink interactively. Syntax is present below.
=HYPERLINK(URL, Cell Text)
- URL: Clickable URL
- Cell Text: Cell text to be displayed.
For example, to create a hyperlink to this website, simply use as below example.
For going to the cell inside the sheet: Select all text in the cell, right click, Open Hyperlink in the context menu
Hyperlinks are very convenient. I make hyperlinks to other documents to open them quickly. However, I have a problem with that. Sometimes, in quite random situations, the addresses of the hyperlinks change themselves, so that the beginning is file:///home/me_as_user/Desktop/… Do I only have this problem?
How do I write a URL to open a specific sheet in a calc document, rather than the default sheet? Any ideas?
Yes. You need to append the sheet name and first cell. Like below: