A reference list of LibreOffice Calc error codes with explanations.
LibreOffice Calc offers feedback for errors, including miscalculations, improper function usage, invalid cell references or values, and other user mistakes. Depending on the specific error, this feedback can be shown within the cell itself, on the status bar, or even both.
Generally, the error message is displayed on the status bar if the error happens in the currently selected cell or the cell where the cursor is located.
Table of Contents
Error codes for Cells
- Code: None
- Explanation: The column is too narrow to display the complete formatted contents of the cell. This is not really an error value, so there is no corresponding numerical error code. The solutions to this problem are to increase the width of the column. or select Format → Cells → Alignment and click either Wrap text automatically or Shrink to fit cell size to make the text match the current column width.
- Code: 502
- Explanation: The function argument is invalid, or the DGET function finds more than one matching cell.
- Code: 503
- Explanation: A calculation resulted in an overflow of the defined value range.
- Code: 519
- Explanation: The formula within the cell returns a value that does not correspond to the definition of the formula or functions used. This error could also mean that the cell referenced by the formula contains text
instead of a number.
- Code: 524
- Explanation: The formula within the cell uses a reference that does not exist. Either a column or row description name could not be resolved, or the column, row, or sheet that contains a referenced cell is missing.
- Code: 525
- Explanation: An identifier could not be evaluated: no valid reference, no valid domain name, no column/row label, no macro, incorrect decimal divider, add-in not found. For example, entering in a cell =sum(bob*5) where there is no cell named “bob” or containing the text “bob” generates this error.
- Code: 532
- Explanation: Division operator / if the denominator is 0.
General Error Codes
|Error code||Error message||Error description|
|501||Invalid character||Character in a formula is not valid. This error is the same as the Invalid Name error (525) except that it occurs within a formula. The cell containing the error will display the #NAME? error reference.|
|502||Invalid argument||Function argument is not valid; for example, a negative|
number for the root function. This error also occurs if more
than one matching cell is found by the DGET function.
|503||Invalid floating point|
|Division by 0, or another calculation that results in an|
overflow of the defined value range (a value too big or too
|504||Parameter list error||Function parameter is not valid; for example, text instead of|
a number, or a domain reference instead of a cell reference.
|505||Internal syntax error|
|508||Pair missing||Missing bracket or parenthesis; for example, closing|
brackets but no opening brackets.
|509||Missing operator||Operator is missing; for example,|
“=2(3+4) * “, where the operator between “2” and “(” is
|510||Missing variable||Variable is missing; for example, when two operators are|
|511||Missing variable||Function requires more variables than are provided; for|
example, AND() and OR().
|512||Formula overflow||The total number of internal tokens (that is, operators,|
variables, brackets) in the formula exceeds 512, or the total
number of matrices the formula creates exceeds 150. This
includes basic functions that receive too large an array as a
|513||String overflow||An identifier in the formula exceeds 64 KB in size, or a result|
of a string operation exceeds 64 KB in size.
|514||Internal overflow||Sort operation attempted on too much numerical data (max.|
100000) or a calculation stack overflow.
|515||Internal syntax error||Not used|
|516||Internal syntax error||Matrix is expected on the calculation stack, but is not|
|517||Internal syntax error||Unknown error; for example, a document with a newer|
function is loaded in an older version of Calc that does not
contain the function.
|518||Internal syntax error||Variable is not available.|
|519||No result (cell|
|Formula yields a value that does not correspond to the|
definition, or a cell that is referenced in the formula contains
text instead of a number.
|520||Internal syntax error||Compiler creates an unknown compiler code.|
|521||Internal syntax error||No result|
|522||Circular reference||Formula refers directly or indirectly to itself and the|
Iterations option is not selected under Tools → Options →
LibreOffice Calc → Calculate.
procedure does not
|Financial statistics function missed a targeted value, or|
iterations of circular references do not reach the minimum
change within the maximum steps that are set.
(cell displays #REF!)
|A column or row description name could not be resolved, or|
the column, row, or sheet that contains a referenced cell is
|525||Invalid names (cell|
|An identifier could not be evaluated; for example, no valid|
reference, no valid domain name, no column/row label, no
macro, incorrect decimal divider, add-in not found.
|526||Internal syntax error||Obsolete, no longer used, but could come from old|
documents if the result is a formula from a domain.
|527||Internal overflow||References, such as when a cell references a cell, are too|
encapsulated or deeply nested. This is an internal error and
should not be displayed in LibreOffice.
|528 to 531||None||Not used|
|532||Division by zero||Division operator / if the denominator is 0.|
Some more functions return this error; for example:
VARP with less than 1 argument
STDEVP with less than 1 argument
VAR with less than 2 arguments
STDEV with less than 2 arguments
STANDARDIZE with stdev=0
NORMDIST with stdev=0
I hope you find the explanation for the LibreOffice Calc error for your spreadsheet and able to resolve it.